82nd Street Academics seeks part-time Instructors for our after-school program at 82nd Street Academics for the 2019-2020 School Year. The participants in the program are 105 students in 5th-10th grades. The goal of our program is to provide the academic and social support needed to help students develop the skills required to successfully complete their secondary and collegiate education. We achieve these goals by providing a holistic program that includes homework assistance, physical exercise, and college exploration. This program is funded by the Department of Youth and Community Development (SONYC) and is governed by a strong partnership with the host school.
The hours of this position are Mondays 1:30pm-6:00pm and Tuesday-Friday 3:00pm-6:00pm . There are bi-weekly meetings and professional developments that may occur outside of these hours.
Rate of Pay: $16.00 per hour depending on previous experience and related education.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
-Provide leadership on a day to day basis for a class of 10- 15 middle school students. Instructors are representatives of our agency in the school and are responsible for maintaining the culture of the school in the afternoon.
-Create lesson plans in advance of implementation ensuring that they are age appropriate and coincide with the goals of the program and our stakeholders. Much of our planning is based in college exploration activities. Staff will work as a team to provide activities and experiences that increase students awareness of the college application process and what options are available to them. We will work together to promote a college-attending environment among students.
-Ensure student safety and attendance to the program at all times. -Instructors are a role model for our students. Everyone on our team must be outstanding in adherence to policies on attendance and punctuality, dress code, and setting a tone of respect in interactions with students, colleagues, parents, and HPCMS staff members.
-Communicate with parents when there is a concern that must be resolved. Provide excellent customer service and a professional, caring demeanor.
Education and Experience:
• Study plan towards college graduation with a BA (minimum)
• At least one year of experience working with the School-Age group in a professional setting (Middle School/High School preffered)
• Commitment to the program through the end of June is a non-negotiable requirement
• Bilingual fluency in Spanish and English is preferred
• Knowledge of best practices in working with children in an extracurricular setting
• Strong communication abilities in one-on-one meetings and in group settings,
• Takes personal accountability for the program outcomes, and takes initiative to implement positive change in the face of challenges
Interested and qualified candidates should respond to this posting with their cover letter and resume. Any attachments should be in PDF or MSWord formatting. Please include the title of this position in the subject line of your email. For more information about our organization please visit our website at www.82ndst.com.
Only apply if you are available Mondays 1:30pm-6:00pm and Tuesday-Friday 3:00pm-6:00pm.
Job Type: Part-time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
82nd Street Academics
Community Church started Pre-K classes in 1974. In 1985, a Summer School program started for Chinese students and quickly became known as a school that helped good students stay a step ahead during the summer.
And in 1997, Afterschool Achievement Club started to help parents and students complete homework successfully.
In 2002, Community Church decided to incorporate the school separately. The new agency still has the same desire – to get students in New York City prepared early for college.
To complement public education so that students in New York City, regardless of home language, have access to quality public higher education.
82nd Street Academics Values
- Empower Students
- Protect the Journey to College
- Mission Driven Staff
- Delighted Kids
Our Ends Policies
- Students build emotional health, confidence and personal responsibility.
- Students form cross cultural relationships, appreciate the benefits of diversity, and are empowered to define themselves in the face of injustice.
- Students in school age programs build skills so that autonomous academic development is possible in high school and university.
Company Website: 82ndst.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)