Are you adept at handling changing responsibilities during the day? Do you enjoy the challenge? Do you have experience working with students who may speak a 2nd language?
82nd Street Academics is seeking full time substitute teachers to work with students from PreK-12th grade. This position would be in The Renaissance Charter School in Jackson Heights, Queens as well as The Renaissance Charter school 2 located in Elmhurst, Queens depending on need.
Rate of Pay: $20-22 per hour depending on previous experience and related education.
The hours of this position are guaranteed Mondays 8:00am-1:30pm and Tuesday-Friday 8:00am-3:10pm. There are bi-weekly meetings and professional developments that may occur outside of these hours.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
-Provide leadership on a day to day basis for a class of 20-25 students and maintain student retention and engagement. Instructors are representatives of our agency in the school and are responsible for maintaining the culture of the school.
-Implementing lesson plans that are prepared by day school teachers daily. We will work together to promote a college-attending environment among students as well as support them in increasing their social-emotional and self awareness.
-Instructors are a role model for our students. Everyone on our team must be outstanding in adhering to remote and in-person policies on attendance and punctuality, dress code, and setting a tone of respect in interactions with students, colleagues, parents, and school staff members.
-Communicate with the day school community and program director when there is a concern that must be resolved and provide excellent customer service and a professional, caring demeanor in-person, by phone or email.
-Be flexible and able to adapt to last minute changes considering current day to day changes.
- Bachelor's degree (minimum)
- At least one year of experience working with the School-Age group in a professional setting
- Commitment to the program through the end of June is a non-negotiable requirement
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Bengali or English is preferred
- Personal experience with societal barriers
• Knowledge of classroom management skills in working with children
• Commitment to delight and empower students
• Takes personal accountability for the program outcomes and takes initiative to implement positive change in the face of challenges
Job type: Full time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, LGBTQI or any other characteristic protected by law.
82nd Street Academics
To complement public education so that students in New York City, regardless of home language or other societal barriers, have access to quality public higher education.
- Empower Students
- Lifetime Learning
- Mission Driven Staff
- Delighted Kids
- Effective Teams
- Students build emotional health, confidence and personal responsibility.
- Students form cross cultural relationships, appreciate the benefits of diversity, and are empowered to define themselves in the face of injustice.
- Students in school age programs build study skills so that autonomous academic development is possible in high school and university.
Company Website: 82ndst.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)